Statement of Intent
The purpose of the Hearts & Horses Code of Ethics is to provide volunteers with an ethical and responsible framework from which to serve. Volunteers at Hearts & Horses must be committed to maintaining an ethical organization. This includes all aspects of the organization: the services, organizational structure, and all communication among the volunteers, staff, clients, public and board.
As a Volunteer, I Will:
- Listen carefully to Hearts & Horses staff members.
- Respect my fellow volunteers.
- Respect and support the decisions of staff and board members in regard to the success of the program.
- Keep well informed of developments and policies relevant to my volunteer responsibilities and Hearts & Horses policies.
- Participate actively in volunteer training and assist other volunteers as they join Hearts & Horses.
- Bring to the attention of the Volunteer Coordinator or Executive Director any issues that I believe will have an adverse effect on the organization or those we serve.
- Help curtail any negative conversations or rumors.
- Positively represent Hearts & Horses in the community.
- Consider myself having ownership of the organization and do my best to ensure that it is well maintained – keeping safety and quality in mind.
- Always strive to learn how to be a more effective volunteer.
As a Volunteer, I will not:
1. Criticize fellow volunteers and staff members or their opinions.
2. Use the organization for my personal advantage or the advantage of my friends or relatives.
3. Discuss confidential issues with anyone not involved with those issues.
4. Interfere with the duties of staff members or undermine their authority.
All volunteers share the responsibility of maintaining the Code of Ethics. This responsibility may include direct one-on-one communication with the person involved in discussion privately; at a larger meeting; or speaking to a staff member. Where repeated attempts have been made to rectify a volunteer’s non-compliance with the Code of Ethics, or where severe violation of the Code of Ethics has occurred, prompt action will be taken to remove or suspend the individual.
As a Hearts & Horses volunteer, I agree to adhere to and to be responsible for maintaining the above Code of Ethics.